Pan Fried Calf's Liver
From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
1) Make sure that he/she removes the skin around it.
2) Make sure that it is trimmed properly : that all the veins passages are removed.
3) In the case that, at home, you come across these little veins cavities take a sharp knife and remove them. This way you won't risk to chew on a piece of nerve when eating your liver.
4) When ordering a pan fried liver in a restaurant make sure to ask for it pink.
Calf liver is quite expensive. They are some cheaper options for this kind of offal such as heifer's liver or lamb's liver which are still excellent and much cheaper.
Pan fried calf's liver recipe for 2 :
- 2 slices calf's liver about 150g each
- some butter and nut oil
- 1 tbs capers
- few drops of balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
2) Arrange them straight away on two hot plates.
3) Place your frying pan back on your ring, add a good knob of butter, few drops of balsamic vinegar and the capers and carefully pour this sauce over the liver.
You can serve some mushrooms, mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes with your pan fried liver.
Do not hesitate to cook offals like calf's liver, it is very tasty and healthy too.
(*) Some chef would coat their slices of liver with some flour before pan frying them. Now, I think that if the meat is fresh and of good quality, it is better not to do it.