Cream of Cannellini Beans
From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
Cream of cannellini beans from the Lot region for 6 people :
- 600g fresh cannellini beans
- 1 onion
- 3 small leeks
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and chopped up
- 100g smoked duck breast
- butter or walnut oil
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
2) Add your beans and 2 litres of water. Bring to the boil and taste and rectify the seasoning if required. Simmer for 45 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, dice up the smoked duck breast and pan fry them until crispy. Set aside on a piece of kitchen paper.
4) When the bean soup as reduced by half, take the bay leaf out and pass your bean through a potato masher* then through a fine sieve.
5) Pour into a large soup bowl. Mix in a little bit of walnut oil (or a good teaspoon of butter). Add the smoked duck pieces and serve piping hot.
*You could blitz the soup but reduced in this way it will get rid of the bean's skins making the soup more digestible.