From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
Camembert bonbons (sweets) recipe for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 fine camembert
- 50g of plain flour mixed with 50g of potato starch
- 110g butter
- 10 cl milk
- salt, freshly ground pepper, a pinch of nutmeg
- For the crumbing:
- 1 beaten egg,
- 50g fresh bread crumb
- 50g plain flour
- To deepfry them:
- 1.5 lit of grappe seed oil
2) Trim down the crust of the cheese and cut it into small dices.
3) Place your sauce back on the heat and stir in the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4) Pour this mixture on a greased tray and level it to a thickness of 2 to 3 cm (3/4 inch to 1 inch). Allow to cool down for at least one hour.
5) Now, lets make our bonbons. It is quite simple. Divide the cold mixture into little rectangular pieces. Then, using your finger (clean), roll these rectangles into the shape of bonbons (sweets). Then crumb them, passing them, first in the flour, then the egg wash and finally in the bread crumb. Put them in the fridge to rest for 1/2 hour.
6) Heat up the oil, then deepfry your bonbons until they reach a nice golden colour. Make sure to place them onto kitchen paper when cooked.
Note that you can make the bonbons and freeze them raw. Like that if you recieve an unexpected visit, you can deepfried them directly from frozen.
Another thing, if it happens that you get your hands on some truffles. Put a little bit of truffle into the cheese mixture, you will reach "gastronomic hights".
Serve your bonbons hot with a nice mixte salad and nice pint of cider.