From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
4.8/5 (11 votes)
Cooking time :
Total time :
apple crumble recipe for 6 people :
- 1.5 kg cooking apples (boskop or barmley)
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 2g cinnamon
- 3 hard toffee (carambar)
- Crumble mix
- 200g flour
- 80g cassonade sugar
- 80g dessicated coconut
- 140g soft butter
- a small pinch of salt
2) Peel and core your apples. Coat them with a little lemon juice. Cut them in dices of 2 cm a side (about 1 inch).
3) Heat up a frying pan, add the butter and vanilla sugar as well as the ground cinnamon. Then, cook your apples until they are lightly caramelised. When done place your apples into a nice oven proof dish.
4) Put your flour into a bowl. Add the salt. Then, make a well in its middle and add the sugar, coconut and the butter.
5) Start binding all the ingredients by passing them between your fingers, "like if you were warming up your hands when they are cold". This operation is called crumbling*.
6) Sprinkle your toffee pieces on the top of the apples and cover the lot with the crumble mix.
7) Bake for 30 minutes at 190'C (374'F).
You can serve it hot in individual dishes with a small ramekin of custard in which you may add a couple of drops of dark rum.
(*) The quality of your recipe is going to come from the dexterity which you are going to have in realizing your crumbling (for the adults only...).