1) In a cast iron pot, heat up the butter. Sweat off your shallots for few minutes. Then, add the chopped mushroom. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and allow to gently cook for 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, heat up a non-stick pan* and fry up the pancetta and while still hot place them on a rolling pen to cool down.
3) Add the diluted corn flour to the oyster mushroom, stir, and pour in the milk. Stir well and bring to the boil. Then, simmer for 20 minute stirring from time to time. Check the seasoning.
4) While your soup is cooking, sweat off the onions until slightly brown. Then, add the sugar, beer and seasoning. Cook until caramelised. At this point take your saucepan off the heat, add a tablespoon of water to the caramel and quickly pass it through a fine sieve.
When cooled down your caramel should look like a thick syrup.
5) Blitz your soup until smooth. Check the seasoning and keep it in a double boiler.
6) In 4-6 nice soup bowls, pour some oyster mushroom soup, then add a couple of slice of pancetta in the middle. Finish by a small drizzle of onion caramel.
A nice starter especially for diner
* You can also cook them either in a the oven of "a la plancha"
credits photo : © Couet Ivan - A.F.Touch