Stuffed Purple Artichokes
From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
Stuffed purple artichokes, main course size, recipe for 4 people :
- 12 small purple artichokes (also known as poivrades)
- 4 finely chopped shallots
- 150g cooked ham, diced up
- 200g finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in small dices
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- a pinch of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 cl dry white wine
- 12 cl olive oil
- 12 cl water
- salt and freshly ground pepper
2) Now the artichokes. Trim down the tough green leaves on the outside. Then, cut down the top part of your "poivrades" (about half way) using a sharp knife. As you go, put your trimmed artichoke in a bowl of water and vinegar to avoid their oxidation.
3) Take a cast iron pot and pour the wine left over in it. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and the water. Season well.
4) Drain your artichokes and get rid off the centre leaves and fluffy bits, with a spoon. Then, fill them with the
stuffing and place them, flat into the pot. Add some olive oil and cover.
5) Cook gently for an hour.
6) Delicately remove the stuffed artichokes out of the cooking juices and place them onto a serving dish and pour some of the cooking juice over your artichokes.