Seared Foie Gras with Mirabelle Plum
From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
Seared foie gras with mirabelle plum for six people :
- 6 slices of raw duck foie gras of 80g each.
- 500g frozen pitted mirabelle plums
- For sweet and sour sauce
- 5cl red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 10cl orange juice
- 5g mixed spices
- 2dl veal stock
- 5g "fleur de sel"
- 5g cracked pepper
2) Meanwhile, pour the vinegar and honey in a saucepan and cook until caramelised. Then, add the orange juice and allow to reduce for few minutes. Add the veal stock and mixed spices. Reduce by half on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
3) Taste the sauce and add the plums, stir for a while and take your pot off the heat, set aside covered.
4) Season your slices of foie gras with salt and pepper. Heat up a frying pan and sear the foie gras for 2 minutes on each side. Quickly set them aside on some kitchen paper.
Place each slices of foie gras on hot plattes, then spoon few plum along with some sauce all around them. Top each slices of foie gras with a tiny pinch of "fleur de sel" and cracked pepper.
The key to this recipe is speed and organisation.