From the one star french chef Patrick Asfaux
Cooking time :
Total time :
Castelnaudary's cake recipe for 6 people :
- For the pastry discs :
- 8 egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g granulated sugar
- 80g strong flour
- 125g ground almonds
- For the filling :
- 100g sugar lumps
- 4 egg yolks
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee diluted in a Tbs of hot water
2) Start your oven at 150'C (302'F).
3) Carefully, fold the flour , then the ground almonds into the egg whites.
4) Using a piping bag, make three spirals of batter of 20 cm in diameter onto a baking tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
5) Place your sugar lumps into a thick bottom pot along with the water and cook to the firm ball stage (120').
6) Place your egg yolks into the bowl of your food processor and set the whisk on medium speed. Pour the cooked sugar on the eggs and continue to whisk for another 7 to 8 minutes at a slower pace. When the mixture is nearly cold add the butter cut in small parcels. Finish your cream with the coffee.
7) Assembling and finishing the cake. Take a first disc and spread half of the coffee cream on it. Then place a second disc on the top of it and spread the rest of the coffee cream on it and top it up with the last disc. Dust the lot with icing sugar.
This cake is quite fragile, so I advise you to cut it with a serrated knife like you would do with bread.
I would like to thank Mr Thierry Belloc, pastry chef and owner of the patisserie 48 rue du 11 novembre in Castelnaudary who allowed me to give you this recipe.